Mohamed A. Fahim
- PhD in Neurophysiology, University of Nottingham, UK.
Membership of Professional Bodies/Associations
- Society for Neuroscience
- The Gerontological Society of America
- The New York Academy for Sciences
- American Association for the Advancement of Sciences
- International Brain Research Organization
- USC/UCLA Long Term Care Centre
- World Federation of Neuroscientists
- The American Physiological Society
Professor Mohamed Fahim has been working in the field of Neuroscience for the past 38 years and has extensive experience across three continents, building university programs and leading research affairs while serving in many positions across Europe, the USA and the UAE.
Professor Fahim joined Emirates College for Advanced Education in 2014, where he co-built and directed the Educational Neuroscience Research Centre and co-founded the Cognitive Neuroimaging Unit. He has co-developed ECAE’s PhD in Educational Neuroscience – the first of its kind in the MENA region.
Professor Fahim has supervised numerous master’s and doctoral research projects in the USA and the UAE; he has taught courses on Physiology and Pathophysiology, Neurophysiology, Human Biology, Medical Physics, Endocrinology, Neurobiology, Development and Aging.
Throughout his career, Professor Fahim has published over 100 research articles in prestigious international peer-reviewed journals, addressing how synaptic connections form, function and maintain their integrity. He explored these seminal questions by looking at neuromuscular function with physical activity and during aging, by examining the roles of disuse and exercise in synaptic plasticity.
Currently, Professor Fahim is involved in using the brain imaging techniques of the state-of-the-art laboratory supporting his work on neuroplasticity, by investigating the link between brain processes and learning.
Professor Fahim is a reviewer on several international journals and is a member of professional societies. He co-organized and chaired the first Educational Neuroscience Research Conference in the UAE in 2015, which he continues to work on annually. He conducts other community-outreach events through public workshops on Neuroscience.
Articles in Peer-Reviewed Research Journals
- Fahim, M.A. and N. Robbins. (l982). Ultrastructural Studies of Young and Old Mouse Neuromuscular Junctions. J. Neurocytology, 11:641-656.
- Holley, J.A. and M.A. Fahim. (1983). Scanning Electron Microscopy of Mouse Microvasculature. Anatomical Record, 205: 109-117.
- Fahim, M.A., Holley, J.A. and N. Robbins. (l983). Scanning and Light Microscopic Study of Age Changes at Mouse Neuromuscular Junctions. J. Neurocytology, 12(1): 13-25.
- Fahim, M.A. and P.N.R. Usherwood. (1983). Effects of c-AMP, Caffeine, Theophylline and Vinblastine on Spontaneous Transmitter Release at Locust Neuromuscular Junctions. J. Neurobiology, 14(5): 319-398.
- Labovtiz, S.S., Robbins, N. and M.A. Fahim. (1984). Endplate Topography of Denervated and Disused Rat Neuromuscular Junctions: Comparisons by Scanning and Light Microscopy. Neuroscience, 11: 963-971.
- Fahim, M.A., Holley, J.A., and N. Robbins. (1984). Topographic Comparison of Neuromuscular Junctions in Mouse Slow and Fast Twitch Muscles. Neuroscience, 13: 227-235.
- Robbins, N. and M.A. Fahim. (1985). Progression of Age changes in Mature Mouse Motor Nerve Terminals and its Relation to Locomotor Activity. J. Neurocytology, 14:1019-1036.
- Fahim, M.A., Lasek, R.J., Brady, S.T. and A. Hodge. (1985). AVEC-DIC and Electron Microscopic Analysis of Axonally Transported Particles in Cold-Blocked Squid Giant Axons. J. Neurocytology, 14: 689-704.
- Fahim, M.A., and N. Robbins. (1986). Remodeling of Neuromuscular Junctions after Subtotal Disuse. Brain Res., 383:353-356.
- Fahim, M.A., Robbins, N. and R. Price. (1987). Synaptic Vesicle Density in Neuromuscular Junctions of Young and Old Mice. Neurobiology of Aging 8:71-75.
- Andonian, M.H. and M.A. Fahim. (1987). Effects of Endurance Exercise on the Morphology of Mouse Neuromuscular Junction during Aging. J. Neurocytology, l6: 589-599.
- Labrecque, C., Tremblay, J.A. and M.A. Fahim. (1988). Scanning Electron Microscopic study of the Neuromuscular Junction of Dystrophic Mice. Exp. Neurology, l00: 51-64.
- Andonian, M.H. and M.A. Fahim. (1988). Endurance Exercise Alters the Morphology of Fast and Slow Twitch Rat Neuromuscular Junctions. International J. Sports Medicine, 9: 218-223.
- Tremblay, J.P., Robitaille, R., Martineau, O., Labrecque, C. and M.A. Fahim. (1989). Proximodistal Gradients of the Postjunctional Folds at the Frog Neuromuscular Junction: A scanning Electron Microscopic Study. Neuroscience, 30: 535-550.
- Andonian, M.H. and M.A. Fahim. (1989). Nerve Terminal Morphology in C57 BL/6NNia Mice at Different Ages.J. Gerontology, 44: B43-B51.
- Fahim, M.A. (1989). Rapid Neuromuscular Remodelling Following Limb Immobilization. Anatomical Rec. 224: 102-109.
- Alshuaib, W.B. and M.A. Fahim. (1990). Aging Increases Calcium Influx at Motor Nerve Terminal. Int. J. Develop. Neuroscience 8: 655-666.
- Fahim, M.A. and M.H. Andonian. (1990). Effects of Chronic Corticosterone Treatment on the Morphology of Rat Neuromuscular Junctions. Anatomical Rec., 227: 132-137.
- Alshuaib, W.B. and M.A. Fahim. (1990). Effect of Exercise on Physiological Age-Related Change at Mouse Neuromuscular Junctions. Neurobiology of Aging, 11: 555-561
- Alshuaib, W.B. and M.A. Fahim. (1991). Depolarization Reverses Age-Related Decrease of Spontaneous Transmitter Release. J. Appl. Physiology, 70: 2066-2071.
- Fahim, M.A. (1992). An Analysis of Miniature Synaptic Events Recorded from Locust Muscle - Variations in Amplitude and Time Course. Cellular and Molecular Biology 38: 231-241.
- Fahim, M.A. (1992). Effects of Ionophore X-537A on Spontaneous Transmitter Release and the Ultrastructure of Locust Neuromuscular Junctions. Cellular and Molecular Biology 38: 385-393.
- Fahim, M.A. (1992). Neuromuscular Transmission and Correlative Morphology after Chronic Corticosterone Treatment. Recent advances in Cellular and Molecular Biology 5: 58-68.
- Elkerdany, M.K. and M.A. Fahim. (1993). Age changes in Neuromuscular Junctions of Masseter Muscle. Anatomical Rec. 237: 291-295.
- Fahim, M.A. (1993). Morphological Correlates of Physiological Responses in Partially Denervated Mouse Muscle During Aging. Int. J. Develop. Neuroscience 11: 303-310
- Al-Karmi, T., Dar, F.K., Ijaz, M.K., and M.A. Fahim. (1994). A Study on the Effect of Experimental Infections with Different Trichinella Species on Skeletal Muscle Contractability in Mice. Trichinellosis 8:131-136.
- Fahim, M.A. (1994). Effects of Aging on Structure and Function of Neuromuscular System. Int. J. of Diabetes 2:55-68.
- Tanira, M.O.M., El-Sabban, F.F., Fahim, M.A., and I.A.Wasfi. (1994). Acetyl Salicylic Acid Alleviates Increased Susceptibility to Thrombosis in Pial Microvessels of Dehydrated Mice. J. Vet. Med. Sci. 56(2): 245-248.
- Alkarmi, T., Dar, F.K., Ijaz, M.K. and M.A. Fahim. (1994). Contractile Characteristics of the Flexor Muscle of Mice Infected with Trichinella spiralis, T. nativa or T. pseudospiralis. J. Parasitol. 80(3): 358-362.
- El-Sabban, F., Fahim, M.A., Al Homsi, M.F. and S. Singh. (1995). Dehydration and Food Deprivation Exacerbate Mouse Cerebral Microvascular Responses to Local Hyperthermia. J. Thermal Biol. 20(6):469-476
- El-Sabban, F. and M.A. Fahim. (1995). Local Cerebral Hyperthermia Induces Spontaneous Thrombosis and Arteriolar Constriction in the Pia Mater of the Mouse. Int. J. Biometerol. 38: 92-97.
- Fahim, M.A. and F. F. El-Sabban. (1995). Hyperthermia Induces Ultrastructural Changes in Mouse Pial Microvessels. Anat. Rec. 242: 77-82.
- Al-Dhaheri, A. H., El-Sabban, F. F. and M.A. Fahim. (1995). Chronic Lead Treatment Accelerates Photochemically-Induced Platelet Aggregation in Cerebral Microvessels of Mice, in vivo. Environmental Res. 69:51-58.
- Fahim, M.A. (1995). Chronic Corticosterone Treatment - Induced Ultrastructural Changes at Rat Neuromuscular Junction. Anat. Rec. 242: 424-431.
- El-Sabban, F., Fahim, M.A., and K.Y. Mustafa. (1995). Aspirin Influences Mouse Pial Microvascular Responses to Regional Hyperthermia. Pathophysiol.2:217-222.
- Al-Dhaheri, A, H., El-Sabban, F.F., and M.A. Fahim. (1996). Lead Alters Structure and Function of Mouse Flexor Muscle. Int. J. Develop. Neurosci.14:125-135.
- El-Sabban, F., Fahim, M.A., Radwan, G., Zaghloul, S. and S. Singh. (1996). Garlic Preserves Flow and Delays Spontaneous Thrombosis in Response to Local Hyperthermia in Pial Microcirculation. Int. J. Hyperther. 12:513-525.
- Fahim, M.A. (1997). Endurance Exercise Modulates Neuromuscular Junction of C57BL/ 6NNia Aging Mice. J. Appl. Physiol. 83:59-66.
- Fahim, M.A., Mohamed, A.S.A., and N. Davidson. (1997). Non-Linear Correlation between Nerve Terminal Parameters and Muscle Fiber Diameter of Exercised Mice During Aging. Emi. Medical J. 15(3): 130-137.
- Fahim, M.A., and F. El-Sabban. (1997). Effect of Acute Lead Treatment on the in vivo Thrombosis in Mouse Cerebral Microvessels under Hydrated and Dehydrated Conditions. Emi. Medical J. 15(3): 138-143.
- Fahim, M.A., El-Sabban, F. and N. Davidson. (1998). Muscle Contractility Decrement and Correlated Morphology during the Pathogenesis of Streptozotocin - Diabetic Mice. Anat. Rec.251 (2): 240-244.
- El-Sabban, F and M.A. Fahim. (1998). Treatments with Lead Expedite Hyperthermia-induced Thromboembolism in Mouse Pial Microvessels. Int. J. Hyperthermia. 14(3):319-329.
- Fahim, M.A. and Elkerdany, M.K. (1999). Disuse and Functional Overload Induced by Tooth Extraction Alters neuromuscular Morphology in C57BL/6J Mice. Cell & Mol Biol, 45/4: 401-405.
- Fahim, M.A., Al Shuaib, W.B and N. Davidson (1999). Depolarization Affects Neuromuscular Junction of Streptozotocin-Diabetic Mice. Cell & Mol Biol, 45: 259-263.
- Fahim, M.A, Al Shuaib, W.B. and N. Davidson (1999). Dehydration Affects Synaptic Transmission at Flexor Muscle in Acute Lead-Treated Mice. Cell & Mol Biol, 45: 407-411
- Fahim, M.A, Hasan, M.Y., and W.B. Alshuaib. (2000). Water Deprivation Reveals Early Neuromyopathy in Diabetic Mice. Endocrine Research, 26 (1):49-57.
- Hasan, M.Y., Fahim, M.A, and W.B. Alshuaib. (2000). Electrophysiological Effects of Chronic Lead Treatment on Synaptic Transmission in Murine Dorsiflexor Muscle. Environ. Bull. Contam. & Toxicol. 64 (4): 593-600.
- 48. Fahim, M.A, Hasan, M.Y., and W.B. Alshuaib. (2000). Cadmium modulates diabetes-induced alterations in murine neuromuscular junction. Endocrine Research, 26 (2):205-217.
- Hasan, M.Y., Alshuaib, W.B. and M.A. Fahim (2000). Physiological Effects of Caffeine on Neuromuscular Transmission in Streptozotocin Induced Diabetes. Res. Comm. in Alchohol and Substances of Abuse, 20: 111-121.
- Fahim, M.A., Hasan, M.Y. and W.B. Alshuaib (2000). Early Morphological Remodeling of Neuromuscualr Junction in a Murine Model of Diabetes. J. Applied Physiology, 89: 2235-2240.
- Alshuaib, W.B, Hasan, S.M., Cherian, S.P., Mathew, M.V., Hasan, M.Y. and M.A. Fahim (2001). Reduced Potassium Currents in Old Rat CA1 Hippocampal Neurons. J. Neurosci. Res., 63: 176-184.
- Fahim, M.A. and F.F. El-Sabbab (2001). Garlic Prevents Ultrastructural Alterations Caused by Dehydration in Mouse Cerebral Microvessels. Anat. Rec. 263: 85-90
- Hasan, M.Y., Alshuaib, W.B. and M.A. Fahim (2002). The Impact of vitamin C on Diabetes Induced Alterations at Murine Neuromuscular Junction. Endocrine Research, 28: 49-59.
- Hasan, M.Y., Adem, A., Kosanovic, M., Stephen, S., Shaheen, H. and M.A. Fahim. (2002). Lead Content in Scalp Hair of Children from Urban and Rural Regions in the United Arab Emirates. Journal of Toxicology, 40:389-390.
- Fernandez-Cabezudo, M.J., Hasan, M.Y., Mustafa, N., El-Sharkawy, R.T., Fahim, M.A. and B.K. Al-Ramadi. (2003). Alpha Tocopherol Protects Against Immunosuppressive and Immunotoxic Effects of Lead. Free Radical Research, 37 (4): 437-445.
- Alshuaib, W.B, Mathew, M.V., Hasan, M.Y. and M.A. Fahim (2003). Differential Effects of Dopamine on a Potassium Current in Cultured Rutabaga and Wild-type Drosophila Neurons. Neurosci. Res. Communication, 32 (3): 175-187.
- Hasan, M.Y., Alshuaib, W.B., Singh, S. and M.A. Fahim (2003). Effects of Ascorbic Acid on Lead Induced Alterations of Synaptic Transmission and Contractile Features in Murine dorsiflexor Muscle. Life Sciences, 73 (8): 1017-1025.
- Alshuaib, W.B, Mathew, M.V., Hasan, M.Y. and M.A. Fahim (2003). Serotonin Reduces Potassium Current in Rutabaga and Wild-type Drosophila neurons. Intl J. of Neuroscience, 113 (10): 1413-1425.
- Alshuaib, W.B, Mathew, M.V., Hasan, M.Y. and M.A. Fahim (2003). Drug effects on calcium homeostasis in mouse CA1 hippocampal neurons. Int. J. Neuroscience, 113 (10): 1317-1332.
- Alshuaib, W.B, Hasan, M.Y., Cherian, S.P. and M.A. Fahim (2003). Differential effects of depolarization on intracellular calcium concentration in wild type and dunce drosophila neurons. Neurosci. Res. Communication, 32 (3): 175-187.
- Hasan, M.Y., Alshuaib, W.B., Singh, S and M.A. Fahim. (2003). Effects of alpha-tocopherol on diabetes-induced alterations of synaptic transmissin and contractile features inmurine dorsiflexor muscle. Endocr Res., 29(4):419-28.
- Alshuaib, W.B., Hasan, M.Y., Cherian, S.P. and M.A. Fahim. (2004). Increased calcium influx through acetylcholine receptors in dunce neurons. Int J of Neuroscience, 114: 161-174.
- Alshuaib, W.B., Mathew, M.V., Fahim, M.A. and M.Y. Hasan. (2004). PKC-A Differentially Affects rutabaga and Wild-Type Drosophila Neuronal Potassium Current. Int J of Neuroscience, 114: 665-679.
- Hasan, M.Y., Kosanovic, M., Fahim, M.A., Adem, A. and G Petroianu. (2004). Trace metal profiles in hair samples from children in urban and rural regions of the United Arab Emirates. Veterinary and Human Toxicology, 46(3): 199-121.
- Mantilla, C.B., Rowley, K.L., Fahim, M.A., Zhan, W.Z and G.C. Sieck. (2004). Synaptic vesicle cycling at type-identified diaphragm neuromuscular junctions. Muscle Nerve, (6): 774-83.
- Hasan, M.Y., Alshuaib, W.B., Adem, A., Singh and M.A. Fahim. (2004). a-Tocopherol modifies lead induced functional changes at murine neuromuscular junction. Free Radical Research, 38:12, 1321-1328.
- Rizk, EE D., Fahim, M.A. and H.A. Hassan. (2004). Urogenital atrophy in climacteric women: menopause or geripause? Middle East Journal of FamilyMedicine, 7(7).
- Adeyemi, E.O., Bastaki, S.A., Chandranath, I.S., Hasan, M.Y., Fahim, M.A and A. Adem. (2005). Mechanisms of action of leptin in preventing gastric ulcer. World J Gastroenterol, 11(27): 4154-4160.
- Rizk, EE D., Hassan, H.A., Ramadan, G.A., Shafiullah, M. and M.A Fahim. (2006). Estrogen and ghrelin increase the number of submucosal urethral and anal canal blood vessels in ovariectomized rats. Urology, 66(6):1343-8.
- Alshuaib, W.B., Cherian, S.P., Hasan, M.Y and M.A Fahim. (2006). Modulation of Neuronal [Ca2+]i by caffeine is altered with aging. Int J Dev. Neurosci, 24(6): 389-94
- Obineche, D.N., Nicholls, M.G., Benedict, S., Chandranath, I., Fahim, M., Adeghate, E., Adem, A. (2006). Alterations in ANP & ANP receptor levels in STZ induced long-term diabetic rates. New York Academy of Sciences, 1084:223-234.
- Fernandez-Cabezudo, M.J., Ali Sumaya, A.E., Ullah, A., Hasan, M.Y., Kosanovic, M., Fahim, M.A., Adem, A and B.K al-Ramadi. (2007). Pronounced susceptibility to infection by Salmonella enterica serovar typhimurium in mice chronically exposed to lead correlates with a shift to Th2-type immune responses. Toxicology and Applied Pharmacology, 218: 215-226.
- Rizk, EE D., Al-Marzouqi, A.H., Hassan, H.A., Al-Kedrah, S.S. and M.A Fahim. (2007). Estrogen and ghrelin decrease the cytoplasic expression of p27kip1, a cellular marker of ageing, in the striated anal sphincter and levator muscle of ovariectomized rats. International Urogynecol J Pelvic Floor Dysfunct., 18(4):413-8.
- Rizk, D.E.E., Fahim, M.A., Hassan, H.A., Al Marzouqi, A.H., Ramadan, G.A., Alkedra, S.S and L.S. Al-Ghafri, (2007). The effect of ovariectomy on biomarkers of urogenital ageing in old versus young adult rats. Int Urogynecol J, 18(9):1077-1085.
- Mantilla, C.B., Rowley KL, Zhan WZ, Fahim M.A. and G.C. Sieck. (2007). Synaptic vesicle pools at diaphragm neuromuscular junctions vary with motoneuron soma, not axon terminal, activity. Neuroscience, 146(1):178-189.
- Rizk, D.E., Hassan, H.A., Al-Marzouqi, A.H. and M.A. Fahim. (2008). Combined estrogen and ghrelin administration decreases expression of p27(kip1) and proportion of isomyosin type I in the striated urethral and anal sphincters and levator ani of old ovariectomized rats. International Urogynecol J Pelvic Floor Dysfunct. Oct 19(10):1363-9, Epub 2008.
- Rizk, D.E. and M.A. Fahim. (2008). Ageing of the female pelvic floor: towards treatment a la carte of the “geripause”. International Urogynecol J Pelvic Floor Dysfunct. Apr 19(4):455-8, Epub 2008.
- Rizk, D.E., Hassan H.A., Al-Marzouqi, A.H., Ramadan, G.A., Al-KIedrah, S.S. Daoud S.A. and M.A. Fahim. (2008). Combined estrogen and ghrelin administration restores number of blood vessels and collagen type I/III ratio in the urethral and anal canal submucosa of old ovariectomized rats. International Urogynecol J Pelvic Floor Dysfunct. Apr 19(4):547-52, Epub 2008.
- Nemmar, A., Dhanasekaran, S., Yasin, J., Ba-Omar, H., Fahim, M.A., Kazzam, E. and B.H. Ali. (2009). Evaluation of the direct systemic and cardiopulmonary effects of diesel particles in spontaneously hypertensive rats.Toxicology, 262(1); 50-56.
- Rizk, D.E., Osman, N.A., Shafiullah, M.M., Nagelkerke, N.J., Fahim, M.A. (2009). Effect of human chorionic gonadotrophin on in vitro contractions of stimulated detrusor muscle strips of female rats. J Obstet Gynaecol Res. 35(5);835-841
- Fahim, M.A., Kataya. H., Al Kharrge, R., Amer, D., el-Ramadi, B., S Karam. (2011). Ghrelin attenuates gastrointestinal epithelial damage induced by doxorubicin. World J Gastroenterology. 7; 17(33): 3836-3841.
- Fahim, M.A., Nemmar A, Singh, S., Hassan, M.Y. (2011). Antioxidants alleviate nicotine-induced platelet aggregation in cerebral arterioles of mice in vivo. Physiol Res. 2011:60(4)’695-700
- Ali, B.A., Al-Salam, S., Al Husseini, I.S., Al-Lawati, I., Waly, M., Yasin, J., Fahim M.A., Nemmar, A. (2011). Abrogation of cisplatin-induced nephrotoxicity by emodin in rats. Fundamental & Clinical Pharmacology, doi: 10.1111/j.1472-8206.2011.01003.x.
- Fahim, M.A., Nemmar, A., Dhanasekaran, S., Singh, S., Shafiullah, M., Javed, M., Zia, S., M.Y. Hasan. (2012). Acute Cadmium exposure causes systemic and thromboembolic events in mice. Physiological Res 61:73-80.
- Nemmar, A., Zia, S., Subramaniyan, D., Fahim, M.A., Ali, B.H. (2011). Exacerbation of thrombotic events by diesel exhaust particle in mouse model of hypertension. Toxicology. 285(1-2):39-45.
- Fahim, M.A., Nemmar, A., Shehab, S., Adem, A., M.Y. Hasan. (2012). Paraquat exposure induces dorsiflexor muscle dysfunction and dopaminergic modification resembling Parkinson’s disease. The FASEB Journal, 26:1035.1
- Fahim, MA Tariq S and E Adeghate. (2012). Vitamin E modifies the ultrastructure of testis and epididymis in mice exposed to lead intoxication. Ann Anat, 2012 Dec 8 [Epub ahead of print]
- Mapanga, R.F., Rajamani, U., Damini, N., Zungu-Edmondson, M., Kelly-Laubscher, R., Shafiullah, M., Wahab, A., Hasan, M.Y., Fahim, M.A., Rondeau, P., Bourdon, E. and M.F. Essop. (2012). Oleanolic acid: a novel cardioprotective agent that blunts hyperglycemia-induced contrtactile dysfunction. PLOS One 2012;7(10):e4732
- Ramkumar, T.T., Madanagopal, S., Al-Abri, M.I., Waly, M., Fahim, M and A Nemmar. (2013). Motor and behavioral changes in mice with cisplatin-induced acute renal failure. The FACPT 2013, Geneva, Switzerland, Aug 28-31.
- Fahim MA, Nemmar A, Al-Salam S, Shafiullah M, Javed Y, Hasan MY. (2013). Evaluation of the subacute systemic thrombotic and organ toxicity of nicotine in mice. The FASEB J, 27(1) 902.
- Ali, B.H., Al-Salam, S., Al Husseini, I.S., Al-Lawati, I., Waly, M., Yasin, J., Fahim, M and A Nemmar. (2013). Abrogation of cisplatin-induced nephrotoxicity by emodin in rats. Fundamental & Clinical Pharmacology, 27: 192-200.
- Fahim MA, Shehab S, Nemmar A, Adem A, Dhanasekaran S, Hasan MY. (2013). Daily subacute paraquat exposure decreases muscle function and substantia nigra dopamine level. Physiol. Res. 62:313-321, 2013.
- Fahim MA, Howarth FC, Nemmar A, Qureshi MA, Shafiullah M, Jayaprakash P, Hasan MY. (2013). Vitamin E ameliorates the decremental effect of paraquat on cardiomyocyte contractility in rats. PLoS One, 8(3):e57651.
- Nemmar A, Beegam S, Yuvaraju P, Yasin J, Fahim MA, Kazzam EE, Alhaddabi I, Ali BH. (2014). Potentiation of cisplatin-induced nephrotoxicity by repeated exposure to diesel exhaust particles: An experimental study in rats. Exp Biol Med (Maywood). 239(8):1036-1044
- Fahim MA, Nemmar A, Al-Salam S, Dhanasekaran S, Shafiullah M, Yasin J, Hasan MY. (2014). Thromboembolic injury and systemic toxicity induced by nicotine in mice. J General Physiol & Biophy, 33(3):345-55.
- Ali BH, Ramkumar A, Madanagopal TT, Waly MI, Tageldin M, Al-Abri S, Fahim M, Yasin J, Nemmar A. (2014). Motor and behavioral changes in mice with cisplatin-induced acute renal failure. Physiol Res. 63(1):35-45.
- Nemmar A, Kazzam EE, Pathan JY, Yuvaraju PD, Alhaddabi I, Fahim MA. (2014). Potentiation of cisplatin-induced nephrotoxicity by repeated exposure to diesel exhaust particles: An experimental study in rats. Exp Biol Med (Maywood), 239(8):1036-104.
- Ojha S, Alkaabi J, Amir N, Sheikh A, Agil A, Fahim MA, Adem A. (2014). Withania coagulans fruit extract reduces oxidative stress and inflammation in kidneys of streptozotocin-induced diabetic rats. Oxid Med Cell Longev. 2014:201436.
- Zadjali SA, Nemmar A, Fahim MA, Azimullah S, Subramanian D, Yasin J, Amir N, Hasan MY, Adem A. (2015). Lead exposure causes thyroid abnormalities in diabetic rats. Int J Clin Exp Med. 8 (5):7160-7167.
- Nemmar A, Yuvaraju P, Beegam S, Yasin J, Dhaheri RA, Fahim MA, Ali BH. (2015). In vitro platelet aggregation and oxidative stress caused by amorphous silica nanoparticles. Int J Physiol Pathophysiol Pharmacol. 7 (1):27-33.
- Ali BH, Al Za’abi M, Shalaby A, Wali MI, Manoj P, Yasin J, Fahim MA, Nemmar A. (2015). The effect of thymoquinone treatment on the combined renal and pulmonary toxicity of cisplatin and diesel exhaust particles. Exp Biol Med (Maywood). 240 (12):1698-1707.
- Fahim MA, Nemmar A, Singh S, Shafiullah M, Javed Y, Hasan MY. (2016). L-2-Oxothiazolidine-4-carboxylic acid mitigates the thromboembolic effects and systemic toxicity induced by sub-acute exposure to cadmium in mice. Int J Clin Exp Med 9 (8): 15764-15771.
- Nemmar A, Yuvaraju P, Beegam S, Fahim MA, Ali BH. (2017). Cerium oxide nanoparticles in lung acutely induce oxidative stress, inflammation and DNA damage in various organs of mice. Oxidative Medicine and Cellular Longevity 2017:9639035. doi: 10.1155/2017/9639035. Epub 2017 Mar 14.
Books, Chapters in Books and Published Reports
- Smith, L.M., Rookh, B.L. and M.A. Fahim. (l990). Facing the Physical Change: Human Development and Aging. Kendal/Hunt Publishing Company, Dubuque, Iowa.
- Book Chapters:
- Randall; P and M.A. Fahim. (1985). Model Systems in Electrophysiological Aging Research. Review of Biological Research in Aging 2: 211-223.
- Fahim, M.A. (l987). Remodelling of the Neuromuscular Junction during Aging and Disuse. In M. Dowdall and J. Hawthorne (Eds.) Cellular and Molecular Basis of Cholinergic Function. England: Ellis Horwood Ltd. and Federal Republic of Germany: VCH, Weinheim.
- Sieck, G.C., Mantilla, C.B., M.A. Fahim. (2004). Functional development of respiratory muscles. In Polin R, Fox WW and Abman SH (eds). Fetal and Neonatal Physiology, 3rd edition, XII; 848-863, Saunders, Orlando.
- Mantilla CB, Fahim MA, Sieck GC. (2011). Functional Development of Respiratory Muscles, Fetal and Neonatal Physiology, 4th edition, 1,937-952. Elsevier Saunders.
- Mantilla CB, Fahim MA, Brandenburg JE, Sieck GC. (2017). Functional Development of Respiratory Muscles, Fetal and Neonatal Physiology, 5th edition, Elsevier