Dr. Qasim Alshannag
- Ph.D. in Curriculum, Teaching and Educational Policy from Michigan state University, MI, USA
- MA, Methods of Teaching Science, University of Jordan, Amman, Jordan
- BSc, Chemistry, Yarmouk University, Irbid, Jordan
Membership of Professional Bodies/Associations
- National Association of Research of Science Teaching (NARST)
- American Educational Research Association (AERA)
- Association of Supervision and Curriculum Development (ASCD)
- National Science Teacher Association (NSTA)
Dr. Qasim Alshannag brings with him a long international experience in education and research in science e-learning, environmental education and education for sustainable development. He has held a variety of academic positions including in Finland, Jordan and UAE.
Dr. Alshannag joined ECAE in August 2019 as an Associate Professor of Science Education teaching courses in science education and curriculum and instruction for undergraduate and graduate students as well as supervising graduate students and conducting research.
Prior to that, he served as an Associate Professor of Science Education at the College of Education, United Arab Emirates. In addition, he was Seconded to Abu Dhabi Department of Education and Knowledge (ADEK) since January 2017. Previously, he was an Associate Professor of Science Education at the College of Education, University of Jordan and Assistance Dean of Students’ Affairs. He was a High School Chemistry Teacher between 1985 and 1992 at the Model School, University of Jordan. He was the Former President of Jordanian Chemical Society between 1989 and 1990.
During his academic experience, he was a principal researcher for funded research projects at University of Jyväskylä, King Saud University, United Arab Emirates University & University of Jordan. His experience also includes professional development training courses for teachers, school leaders, academic supervisors and university faculty members.
Dr. Alshannag has published in international and national peer-reviewed research journals and has co-authored and contributed to several books and other publications. His research interests include national and international assessment, e-learning in science and environmental education.
He holds a Ph.D in Curriculum, Teaching and Educational Policy from Michigan state University, MI, USA as well as and MA in Methods of Teaching Science at the University of Jordan.
Articles in Peer-Reviewed Research Journals
- Al Naqbi, Ali & Alshannag, Qasim (2018). The status of education and sustainable development and sustainability knowledge, attitudes, and behavior of UAE University students. International Journal of Sustainability in Higher Education, 19(3), 566-588.
- Alshannag, Q., Schreier, H., Abdel Fattah, F. & Alshaya, F. (2016). Lost in memorialization: The case of science instruction in KSA schools and the argument for a promotion of scientific literacy based on formative assessment practices. Journal of Emerging Trends in Educational Research and Policy Studies. 7(4), 292-301.
- Alshannag, Qasim & Hamdan, Amin (2016). Schools killing creativity! What can we do? The case of enhancing creativity and inquiry-based learning in teaching science. International Journal for Research in Education, 39, 16-51.
- Abu-Qamar, Synan, Alshannag, Qasim, Sartawi, AbdelAziz, & Iratni, Rabah (2015). Educational awareness of biotechnology issues among undergraduate students at the United Arab Emirates University. Biochemistry and Molecular Biology Education, 43(4), 283-293.
- Alshannag, Qasim, Tairab, Hassan, Dodeen, Hamza, & Abdel Fattah (2012). Linking teachers’ quality and student achievement in the Kingdom of Saudi Arabia and Singapore: The impact of teachers’ background variables on student achievement. Journal of Baltic Science Education,12(5), 652-665.
- Alshannag, Qasim (2011). The reality of using electronic multimedia in teaching science in United Arab Emirates from teachers’ perspectives. International Journal for Research in Education, 29, 185-207.
- Alshannag, Qasim & Bani Domi, Hassan. (2010). Science high school teachers and their students’ attitudes toward e-learning. Journal of Education, 26 (1,2), 235-271.
- Bani Domi, Hassan, & Alshannag, Qasim. (2010). The effect of using e-learning in physics in acquiring scientific method skills in Jordanians high schools. Educational Journal, 24 (94), 289-320.
- Albawab, Abeer; Alshannag, Qasim; & Abu-Hola, Imfadi (2009). The effect of using computer, multimedia system & free inquiry on acquiring science faculties’ students for science process skills at the University of Jordan. Educational Journal, 34 (2), 30-45.
- Bani Domi, Hassan, & Alshannag, Qasim. (2008). Obstacles of e-learning in Jordanian high schools. Journal of Educational Sciences & Psychology, 9 (2), 161-183.
- Alshannag, Qasim & Bani Domi, Hassan. (2006). The effect of using e-learning in Jordanians high schools on direct and post physics achievement. Jordanian Journal of Educational Science, 2 (3), 129-142.
- Abu-Hola, I., Alshannag, Qasim, & Al bawab, A. (2004). The effect of using computer-based multimedia strategy & inquiry experiments on the questions of scientific attitudes of science Students College at the University of Jordan. Dirasat, 31 (1), 52-71.
- Alshannag, Qasim, Albawab, A. & Abu-Hola, I. (2004). The effect of using dray lab strategy on the science students’ achievement at the University of Jordan. Dirasat, 31 (1), 29-51.
- Alshannag, Qasim (2004). Doing classroom research to improve science teacher’s teaching practices. Journal of Education College, 28(2), 67-77.
- Almonai, I., Alshannag, Qasim, & Abouhol, I. (2003). Teaching science through alternative ideas carried by basic stage students. Dirasat (2), 30, 270-289.
- Alshannag, Qasim & Alnamrouti, Ahmad (2003). The effect of using a metacognitive teaching strategy on seventh grades students’ achievement in science. Dirasat, 31 (2), 160-174.
- Alshannag, Qasim & Alnamrouti, Ahmad. The effect of using metacognitive teaching strategy on seventh grades students’ scientific attitudes & acquiring science processes skills. Abhath Al-Yarmouk Journal, 21(1), 131-149.
- Simmons, P., Emory, A. … & Alshannag, Q. (1999). Beginning Teachers: beliefs and classroom actions. Journal of Research in Science Teaching, 36(8), 930-954.
Books, Chapters in Books and Published Reports
- Alshannag, Qasim & Bani Domi, Hassan. (2009). Principle of e-learning in Science. Dar Wael for Publication, Amman-Jordan. (Arabic)
- Al Majali, M., Aljarrah, A., Alshannag, Q. Alyoness, Y., Alayasrah, A. & Alnsoor, Z. (2005). Arabic helper in teaching Intel learning for all: Trainer guide. Ministry of Education, Amman, Jordan. (Arabic)
- Alshannag, Q. Horner, H. & Abele, A. (2001). Enjoy Teaching: A Handbook of Practice-Oriented, Teacher Education. Editions Mathieu. Wilhelm Rock, Graphische Betriebe, Weinsberg, Germany. (English)
- Alshannag, Qasim & Schreier, Helmut (2001). Improving Environmental Literacy in Teacher Education Programs. National Center for Human Resources Development (NCHRD). Amman, Jordan. (English)