Dr. Patricia Fidalgo
- Ph.D. in Sciences of Education, Nova’s University of Lisbon, Portugal.
Membership of Professional Bodies/Associations
- Chair of the Emerging Researchers’ Group of the European Educational Research Association (EERA) from 2011 to 2016.
- Member of the board of directors of the Portuguese Association of Educational Telematics since 2012.
- Member of the Portuguese Society of Educational Sciences since 2012.
Dr. Patricia Fidalgo is an expert in Technology, Networks and Multimedia in Education and Training with over 20 years teaching experience in Europe, Africa and Middle East. She has also gained experience in supervising students in research projects, dissertations, internships for over a decade.
Dr. Fidalgo joined Emirates College for Advanced Education in 2014 as an Assistant Professor where she has taught both undergraduate and graduate programs. She led and taught Curriculum Design and Assessment, Integrated Curriculum, Digital Literacy, and Educational Technology. She also contributed to curriculum development and served as a member of the undergraduate and graduate committees.
Her most recent research projects investigated the use of technological devices by undergraduate students, the usefulness of learning information literacy skills as a way to enhance 21th century skills, and the integration of 3D printing in educational settings. Dr. Fidalgo is currently researching the potential of distance education as an added strategy for higher education institutions. She also has experience using blended and distance learning models.
Before joining ECAE, Dr. Fidalgo was Chair of a bachelor’s program in Communication Sciences as well as being in charge for the Erasmus Office in her previous college in Portugal. At the Erasmus Office she was responsible for the exchange program of students between her college and other European universities.
Dr. Fidalgo was Chair of the Emerging Researchers’ Group of the European Educational Research Association (EERA) from 2011 to 2016. In this role, she managed and organized the group’s activities, its international annual conference and Summer Schools.
Articles in Peer-Reviewed Research Journals
- Menano, L., Fidalgo, P. Santos, I. M. & Thormann, J. (2019). Integration of 3D Printing in Art Education: A Multidisciplinary Approach. Computers in Schools, Vol. 38 (2), https://doi.org/10.1080/07380569.2019.1643442
- Melkonian, M., Areepattamannil, S., Menano, L., & Fidalgo, P. (2019). Acculturation orientations of first- and second-generation immigrant adolescents in Portugal: relations to reading, mathematics, and science achievement. Social Psychology of Education, Vol. 22 (3), 1-21.
- Fidalgo, P. & Thormann, J. (2019). Student and instructor opinions about using ePortfolios to learn information literacy skills. Journal of Educational Multimedia and Hypermedia, Vol. 28(2), 165-191.
- Thormann, J. & Fidalgo, P. (2017). Reaching students in online courses using alternative formats. The International Review of Research in Open and Distance Learning, Vol. 18 (2), https://doi.org/10.19173/irrodl.v18i2.2601
- Fidalgo, P. Santos, I. M., Thormann, J. (2017). College students’ preferences of instructional material formats. Scholars Bulletin, Vol. 3 (1).
- Rashad, F., Fidalgo, P. Menano, L. & Saqr, S. (2016). Preservice Teachers’ Concerns about the Classroom-based Internship Experience. Scholars Bulletin, Vol. 2 (11).
- Thormann, J. & Fidalgo, Patricia (2014). Guidelines for Online Course Moderation and Community Building from a Student’s Perspective. MERLOT Journal of Online Learning and Teaching, Vol. 10 (3), 374-388.
- Hallet, Fiona & Fidalgo, Patricia (2014). Educational Research Capacity Building in the European Union: a critique of the lived experiences of emerging researchers. European Educational Research Journal, Vol. 13 (4), 425-433.
Books, Chapters in Books and Published Reports
- Menano, L. & Fidalgo, P. (Eds.) (2016). Art and Technology: The Practice and the Influence of Art and Technology in Education. AACHEN: SENSE PUBLISHERS.
Chapters in books:
- Dickson, M., Fidalgo, P. & Cairns, D. (2019) The ‘S’ and ‘T’ in STEM: Integrating Science and Educational Technology in UAE Schools. In Gallagher, K. (Ed.), Education in the UAE: Innovation and Transformation. New York: Springer
- Fidalgo, P. Thormann, J. & Davis, A. (2018). Libraries, New Technology & Education: The 3D printing challenge. In Santos, I. M., Ali, N. & Areepattamannil, S. (Eds). Interdisciplinary and International Perspectives on 3D Printing in Education. Hershey, United States: IGI Global