Dr. Páraic Treacy
- Ph.D. in Mathematics Education, The University of Limerick, Ireland.
Membership of Professional Bodies/Associations
- Senior Fellow of the Higher Education Academy (UK).
Dr. Páraic Treacy is an Assistant Professor in the Curriculum and Instruction Division at Emirates College for Advanced Education (ECAE). He has extensive experience in leading, lecturing, teaching, and tutoring Mathematics Education for undergraduate, postgraduate, and professional development programs as well as coordinating and providing mathematics learning support.
He supervises and mentors masters and doctorate students in addition to designing courses at undergraduate and postgraduate levels.
His research interests include integrating mathematics with other subjects to enhance learning; applications of mathematics; mathematics curriculum change; and student transition from second level mathematics study to third level mathematics study.
Dr. Treacy was previously a Senior Lecturer in Mathematics Education leading the Secondary Mathematics PGCE at the University of Brighton (UK). He was also a Lecturer of mathematics and Manager of the Mathematics Learning Centre at the University of Limerick (Ireland).
His qualifications include a PhD in Mathematics Education from The University of Limerick, Ireland., B.Sc. in Physical Education and Mathematics, and a Senior Fellowship of the HEA (UK).
Articles in Peer-Reviewed Research Journals
- Treacy, P., Prendergast, M. and O’Meara, N., (2019). A “new normal”: Teachers’ experiences of the day-to-day impact of incentivising the study of advanced mathematics. Research in Mathematics Education, pp.1-16.
- Treacy, P. (2018). Incentivizing advanced mathematics study at upper secondary level: the case of bonus points in Ireland. International Journal of Mathematical Education in Science and Technology, 49(3), pp.417-436.
- Prendergast, M. and Treacy, P. (2018). Curriculum reform in Irish secondary schools – a focus on algebra. Journal of Curriculum Studies, 50(1), pp.126-143.
- Treacy, P., Faulkner, F. and Prendergast, M., (2016). Analysing the correlation between secondary mathematics curriculum change and trends in beginning undergraduates’ performance of basic mathematical skills in Ireland. Irish Educational Studies, 35(4), 381-401.
- Treacy, P., & Faulkner, F. (2015). Trends in basic mathematical competencies of beginning undergraduates in Ireland, 2003–2013. International Journal of Mathematical Education in Science and Technology, 46(8), 1182-1196.
- Treacy, P., & O’Donoghue, J. (2014). Authentic Integration: a model for integrating mathematics and science in the classroom. International Journal of Mathematical Education in Science and Technology, 45(5), 703-718.
Books, Chapters in Books and Published Reports
- Marks, R., Barclay, N., Barnes, A., & Treacy, P. (2019). Research Review of BSRLM 2003-2017. Available: