Dr. Othman Abu Khurma
Dr. Othman Abu Khurma
Assistant Professor, Curriculum and Instruction Division
Dr. Othman Abu Khurma is a passionate and enthusiastic science educator with sixteen years of teaching experience in Jordan and GCC, in national and international academic organizations. Proven record of effective designing teaching and professional development materials for educators and students that engage learners in dynamic classroom discussions and creative learning activities.
Dr. Othman Abu Khurma is now working as an Assistant Professor of Science Education at the Curriculum and Instruction Division at Emirates College for Advanced Education ECAE. His role includes teaching postgraduate students (Post Graduate Diploma in Education and Master of Education and Innovation), supervising students in the practicum courses, advising students, conducting research, and supervising the thesis. The courses taught for postgraduate and undergraduate students are Action Research, Internship, School Inspection, Curriculum Progression, Evidence-based learning, and Assessing investigation skills.
Dr. Abu Khurma has also worked as a senior trainer at ECAE, designing and delivering educational programs and qualifications to prepare UAE science teachers. Before that, his role in Riyadh, KSA was as an Educational Expert in King Abdullah Public Education Development Program / Tatweer for Educational Services. He had many responsibilities in leading and delivering STEM training projects for Science & Math. In addition, a quality assurance officer for many training projects, especially the training developed from Pearson Education to the Ministry of Education in KSA “Tamkeen”, where the most crucial role was to qualify the STEM lessons to best enhance teachers’ teaching practices to teach Saudi curricula.
Dr. Othman Abu Khurma completed his Ph. D. in Science Education, concentrating on inquiry-based Physics Teaching, Curriculum & Instruction from Yarmouk University in Jordan. He also earned Four Educational and Vocational Qualifications: Level 4 Award in Leading the Internal Quality Assurance of Assessment IQA from NCFE/United Kingdome, Level 4 Award in IQA of Assessment from NCFE/United Kingdome, Certificate in Assessing Vocational Achievement from CACHE/United Kingdome, and Level 5 Composite Award in Assessing Learners from ACTVET/United Arab Emirates.
Finally, Dr. Othman Abu Khurma is a member in the international organizations “Office of Astronomy for Education (OAE), and the Office Of Astronomy For Development (OAD).
- Amatullah, T., ElZein, F., Santos, I. M., Agbenyaga, J. S., Abu Khurma, O., Davis, N., & Pedder, D. (2022, September 6-8). School-University Research Partnership and Experiences: Reflections from the UAE Context [Paper Presentation]. British Educational Research Association (BERA) Conference 2022, Liverpool, United Kingdom. https://www.bera.ac.uk/conference/bera-conference-2022
- Abu Khurma, O., Ali, N., & Blaik, R. (2022). The effect of Web-Quest inquiry learning model in enhancing critical thinking and motivation for grade eight science students. In S. Keengwe (Ed.), Handbook of Research on Facilitating Collaborative Learning Through Digital Content and Learning Technologies, IGI Global.
- Sullivan, O., Ali, N., Al Shannag, Q., Abu Khurma, O., Azaza, M., Balawi, Z. & Rock, J. (2021, November). Beyond the MCAT and GPA, Identification of Development of Interventions and Supports for Academically “at risk “Medical students in the College of Medicine and Health Sciences, Khalifa University [Paper Presentation]. ADEK Higher Education Excellence 2021 Conference, Abu Dhabi, UAE.
- Darayseh, A.S., & Khurma, O.S. (2020). ASSESSING OF UAE STUDENTS’ INVOLVEMENT IN SCIENCE TEXTBOOK FOR THE 8TH GRADE. European Journal of Education Studies.
- Abu Khurma, O., Al Ramamneh, Y., Hassell, T., Al Hammadi, M., Zoelfakar, S., & Fairouz, Y. (2020). Quality Assurance Model in Enhancing the Professional Development Content. International Journal of Sciences: Basic and Applied Research (IJSBAR), 54(5), 49-68. Retrieved from https://www.gssrr.org/index.php/JournalOfBasicAndApplied/article/view/12020
- Abu Khurma, O. (2014, April 13 - 18). Building a training plan based on the nature of the organization [Paper Presentation]. Third Arab Training Conference, Istanbul, Turkey.