Dr. Mary Lynn Woolsey
- Ph.D. Special Education and Applied Behavior Analysis, The Ohio State University, USA
- M.Ed. Parent/Infant Habilitation
- B.S. in Education of the Deaf
Dr. Woolsey is an Associate Professor with an academic focus on Special Education and a strong background in Applied Behavior Analysis. She is also one of the few individuals who have successfully been awarded the ADEK Award for Research Excellence in 2017.
At ECAE, she is currently serving as the Division Head for Counseling, Special Education and Neuroscience.
Prior to joining ECAE, Dr. Woolsey has taught online classes to master’s degree students at a private university in Kentucky, USA. From 2006 - 2008 Dr. Woolsey served as the Director of the Center on Deafness with a concurrent appointment as an Assistant Professor at the University of Tennessee, Knoxville. In 2001, She served as a teacher trainer in Deaf Education at the University of North Florida for 5 years as well as the Supervising Teacher at the Washington School for the Deaf and as a classroom teacher for both deaf and hearing students.
Her research areas include investigating the current educational placement and achievement levels of students with hearing loss in Abu Dhabi. She is also interested in the practices and classroom instructional behaviors of pre-service and in-service teachers of Students of Determination and improving classroom content instruction for students with disabilities through research and evidence-based strategies in both pedagogy and andragogy.
Dr. Woolsey completed her Ph.D. in Special Education/Applied Behavior Analysis from The Ohio State University in 2001. The focus of her research was classroom-based, using a validated eco-behavioral assessment tool to investigate the behaviors of deaf students with and without behavior problems across three settings: a residential school for the deaf, a special program for deaf students with behavior disorders and a residential treatment program for deaf students with severe behavior problems.
Dr. Woolsey has extensive experience in successful research grant-writing, having been awarded nearly 6 million dollars in U.S. grants and AED 63,080 in grants originated in the UAE.
Articles in Peer-Reviewed Research Journals
- Woolsey, M. L., Rashad, F. F., Tennant, L., & Kelly, M. P. (2017). Emirati pre-service teacher behaviors n mathematics classrooms. Journal of Educational Practice, 18(24), 1-10.
- Tennant, L., Al Jafari, H., Woolsey, M. L. (2017). Special needs center facilitating inclusive education in the Emirate of Abu Dhabi. International Journal of Advanced Research, 5(4), 25-32
- Woolsey, M. L., Kelly, M. P., Rashad, F. F., & Tennant, L. (2016). An ecobehavioral assessment of mirati pre-service science teachers. International Journal of Contemporary Applied ciences, 3(3), 143-157.
- Erannpalo, T., Jorgenson, C. K., & Woolsey, M. L. (2016). The Abu Dhabi school model: Effective delivery of the curriculum. International Journal of Humanities and Social Sciences, 8(6), 24-35. http://aajhss.org/index.php/ijhss.
- Kahn, S., Wild, T., Woolsey, M. L., & Haegle, W. (2014). Let’s get physical: Making Science accessible for children with physical disabilities. Science & Children, 51(5). 37-43.
- Woolsey, M. L., Herring, T. J., & Satterfield, S. T. (2009). Social studies instruction in signing programs for deaf and hard of hearing students. American Annals for the Deaf, 154(4), 400-412. 10.1353/aad.0.0108
- DeWitz, J., & Woolsey, M. L., Walsh, W. B. (2008). College student retention: An exploration of the relationship between self-efficacy and purpose in life among college students. Journal of College Student Development 50 (1), 19-54.
- Woolsey, M. L., & Satterfield, S. T. & Roberson, L. (2006). Visual Phonics: An English code buster? American Annals of the Deaf, 151 (4), 452-457.
- Roberson, L., Woolsey, M. L., Seabrooks, J. & Williams, G. (2004). Data-driven assessment in the evaluation of teacher candidates during their internship experiences in deaf education. American Annals of the Deaf, 148 (5), 403-412.
- Roberson, L., Woolsey, M. L., Seabrooks, J., & Williams, G. (2004). An ecobehavioral assessment of teacher candidates during their internship experiences. Teacher Education and Special Education, 27 (3), 264-275.
- Woolsey, M. L., Harrison, T.J., & Gardner, R. III, (2004). A preliminary examination of instructional arrangements, teaching behaviors, levels of academic responding of deaf middle school students in three different settings. Education and Treatment of Children 27 (3), 263-279.
- Gardner, R. III. Cartledge, G., Seidl, B., Woolsey, M. L., Schley, G. S., & Utley, C. A. (2001). Mt. Olivet after-school program: Peer mediated interventions for at-risk students. Remedial and Special Education, 22, -22. DOI: 10.1177/074193250102200104
- Schirmer, B. R., & Woolsey, M. L., (1997). Effect of teacher questions on the reading comprehension of deaf children. Journal of Deaf Studies 2. (1), 47-56.