Dr. Evrim Erbilgin
Dr. Evrim Erbilgin is an Associate Professor in the Curriculum and Instruction Division at Emirates College for Advanced Education (ECAE) with teaching and research experiences in the US, UK, and Turkiye. She started her career as a secondary mathematics teacher in Turkiye. After earning a scholarship from the Ministry of Education of Turkiye, she moved to the US and completed her master’s and Ph.D. degrees in the mathematics education program at Florida State University where she also worked as a research and teaching assistant.
Prior to joining ECAE, Dr. Erbilgin worked at Mugla Sitki Kocman University as the chair of the mathematics education program and led the development of a BS in mathematics education. Later, she taught graduate and undergraduate courses in the Master of Education program at the University of the People where she also served as a Faculty Evaluator. As an evaluator, Dr. Erbilgin helped monitor and coach new and established instructors, looking for evidence of best practices.
The focus of Dr. Erbilgin’s research is conceptual teaching of mathematics and working with mathematics pre-service and in-service teachers to promote a relational understanding of mathematics in K-12 classrooms. In particular, she is interested in the educational supervision of preservice teachers, collaborative teacher professional development models, developing and analyzing mathematics curriculum materials, and using multiple representations to teach mathematics. Dr. Erbilgin has published in international and national peer-reviewed research journals and has contributed to several book chapters and other publications.
Dr. Erbilgin explores ways to connect theory with practice in teacher education. She facilitated professional development (PD) activities for teachers in a way to build connections between the PD activities and teachers’ classroom practices. She is the editor-in-chief of the Journal of Inquiry-Based Activities. She founded this journal with the goal to act as a bridge between theoretical and practical knowledge. The journal publishes articles that share classroom-tested inquiry-based activities.
- Erbilgin, E., & Macur, G. M. A. (2022). A subtraction game to scaffold primary students’ word problem solving skills. Journal on Mathematics Education, 13(2), 307-322.
- Erbilgin, E., & Arıkan, S. (2021). Lesson study to support preservice elementary teachers learning to teach mathematics. Mathematics Teacher Education and Development, 23(1), 113-134.
- Erbilgin, E. (2019). Two mathematics teacher educators’ efforts to improve teaching and learning processes: An action research study. Teaching and Teacher Education, 78, 28-38. doi:10.1016/j.tate.2018.11.005
- Erbilgin, E. (2017). A comparison of the mathematical processes embedded in the content standards of Turkey and Singapore. Research in Social Sciences and Technology, 2(1), 53-74.
- Topçu, M. S., Erbilgin, E., & Arıkan, S. (2016). Factors predicting Turkish and Korean students’ science and mathematics achievement in TIMSS 2011. Eurasia Journal of Mathematics, Science and Technology Education, 12(7), 1711-1737. Doi: 10.12973/eurasia.2016.1530a
- Topçu, M. S., Arıkan, S., & Erbilgin, E. (2015). Turkish students’ science performance and related factors in PISA 2006 and 2009. The Australian Educational Researcher, 42(1), 117-132. Doi:10.1007/s13384-014-0157-9
- Erbilgin, E. (2015). Scaffolding conceptual understanding for linear measurement. Teaching Children Mathematics, 22(5), 300-309.
- Erbilgin, E. (2014). Analyzing Turkey’s elementary and middle school mathematics standards with general topic trace mapping. Education and Science / Egitim ve Bilim, 39(174), 272-285. Doi: 10.15390/EB.2014.2151
- Erbilgin, E. (2014). Examining a program designed to improve supervisory knowledge and practices of cooperating teachers. Teaching Education, 25(3), 261-293. https://doi.org/10.1080/10476210.2014.889671
- Erbilgin, E. (2013). Preservice elementary school teachers’ perceptions about lesson study. Dicle University Journal of Ziya Gökalp Faculty of Education / Dicle Üniversitesi Ziya Gökalp Eğitim Fakültesi Dergisi, 21(1), 69-83.
- Fernández, M. L., & Erbilgin, E. (2009). Examining the supervision of student teachers through analysis of conference communications. Educational Studies in Mathematics, 72(1), 93-110.