Dr. Dean Cairns
- PhD in Polymer Chemistry, Sussex University, United Kingdom
- MSc in Polymer Science, Lancaster University, United Kingdom
- BSc in Chemistry, Lancaster University, United Kingdom
- Post Graduate Certificate in Secondary Science Education, Advanced Skills Teacher Accreditation, Southampton University, United Kingdom
- NCFE CACHE Level 3 Cert in Assessing Vocational Achievement, UAE
Dr. Dean Cairns is a former scientist and education advisor with over 15 years of experience in the education sector in the UK a teacher, a department head and key stage 3 science consultant.
Since joining ECAE in 2015, he has served as Division Head for Science and Mathematics and the Program Chair for Undergraduate Programs. He has taught undergraduate courses in the sciences, science pedagogical content knowledge and integrated curriculum and assessment.
Prior to his work with ECAE, Cairns worked for 2 years as a science advisor and curriculum developer for ADEK. He worked with a specialized team to develop the Cycle 2 science curriculum and assessment framework and teacher support documentation.
Dr. Cairns completed his BSc in Chemistry and his MSc in Polymer Science at Lancaster University. After a short time in the chemical industry he undertook a PhD at Sussex University in Polymer Chemistry. His students and departments regularly placed in the 95% percentile, nationwide, for value-added and overall attainment in key stage 2 and 3 science.
His areas of current research interest include: science teaching methods, educational measurement and multi-level modelling as a means of determining the effectiveness of instructional techniques. He is currently undertaking a Doctorate in Education at the University of Bath.
Articles in Peer-Reviewed Research Journals
- Cairns, D. & Areepattamannil, S. (2017). Exploring the Relations of Inquiry-Based Teaching to Science Achievement and Dispositions in 54 Countries. Research in Science Education, https://doi.org/10.1007/s11165-017-9639-x
- Cairns, D., Khan, M., Perruchot, C., Riede, A., & Armes, S. (2003). Synthesis and characterization of polypyrrole-coated poly (alkyl methacrylate) latex particles. Chemistry of Materials, 15(1), 233-239.
- Cairns, D., Armes, S., Chehimi, M., Perruchot, C., & Delamar, M. (1999). X-ray photoelectron spectroscopy characterization of submicrometer-sized polypyrrole-polystyrene composites. Langmuir, 15(23), 8059-8066.
- Cairns, D., Armes, S., & Bremer, L. (1999). Synthesis and characterization of submicrometer-sized polypyrrole-polystyrene composite particles. Langmuir, 15(23), 8052-8058.
- Barthet, C., Hickey, A. J., Cairns, D.B., & Armes, S. P. (1999). Synthesis of Novel Polymer–Silica Colloidal Nanocomposites via Free-Radical Polymerization of Vinyl Monomers. Advanced Materials, 11(5), 408-410.
Books, Chapters in Books and Other Book Chapters
- Dickson, M., Fidalgo, P. & Cairns, D. (In-press). The ‘S’ and ‘T’ in STEM: Integrating Science and Educational Technology in UAE Schools. In Gallagher, K. (Ed.), Education in the UAE: Innovation and Transformation.
Editorial advisory board member, (2018). Interdisciplinary and International Perspectives on 3D Printing in Education. IGI Global.