Dr. Claudine Habak
- Ph.D., Neuropsychology and Cognitive Science, Université de Montréal, Canada.
- MSc., Vision Sciences, Université de Montréal, Canada.
- BSc., Psychology, McGill University, Canada.
Dr. Claudine Habak is a renowned cognitive neuroscientist and psychophysicist, specializing in information processing in perception and cognition and currently chairs ECAE’s Institutional Research Board.
Since joining ECAE in 2015, she played an instrumental role in co-founding the Educational Neuroscience Research Center as well as the Cognitive Neuroimaging Unit.
As an Associate Professor in Counseling, Special Education, & Neuroscience Division, Dr. Habak’s research addresses perceptual change with a focus on contextual interactions in visual perception, and the link between visual perception and cognition. She uses a multimodal approach that includes psychophysics and behavioral measures and fMRI. Recently, she has been applying the fundamentals of perceptual cognitive neuroscience to the educational context, with the goal of improving how information is presented and treated.
Prior to her work with ECAE, she was a researcher at Université de Montréal’s Psychophysics and Visual Perception Laboratory, a postdoctoral fellow with Oury Monchi at the Montreal Geriatric Institute, and with Hugh R. Wilson at York’s Center for Vision Research.
Dr. Habak has published extensively in prestigious international peer-reviewed research journals, with numerous highly-cited papers, and has filed two patents.
Articles in Peer-Reviewed Research Journals
- Guy J, Habak C, Wilson HR, Mottron L, Bertone A. (2017). Face perception develops similarly across viewpoint in children and adolescents with and without autism spectrum disorder. J Vis. 17(1):38. doi: 10.1167/17.1.38.
- Santos I. M., Bocheco O. & Habak C. (2017). A survey of student and instructor perceptions of personal mobile technology usage and policies for the classroom. Educ Inf Technol.
- Perreault, A., Habak, C., Mottron, L., Lepore, F., & Bertone, A. (2015). Behavioral evidence for a functional link between low- and mid-level visual perception in the Autism Spectrum. Neuropsychologia, 77, 380-386.
- Lugo, E., Habak C., Doti, R., Faubert, J. (2014) Near-Infrared Spectroscopy of Image Clarity Perception in the Human Brain. SPIE Proceedings, 9288.
- Habak, C., Wilkinson, F., & Wilson, H.R. (2009). Preservation of shape discrimination in aging. Journal of Vision, 9, 1-8.
- Habak, C., Wilkinson, F.E., & Wilson, H.R. (2008). Aging disrupts the neural transformations that link facial identity across views. Vision Research, 43, 9-15.
- Habak, C., Casanova, C., & Faubert, J. (2002). Central and peripheral interactions in the perception of optic flow. Vision Research, 42, 2843-52.
Books, Chapters in Books and Other
- Provisional Patent (PCT) submitted - US Patent App. 20,150,230,744 "METHOD AND SYSTEM FOR ASSESSING A STIMULUS PROPERTY PERCEIVED BY A SUBJECT" Inventors: Jocelyn Faubert, Claudine Habak, Rafael Doti & Eduardo Lugo
- Provisional Patent (PCT) submitted - US Patent App. 20,150,238,083 "METHOD AND SYSTEM FOR OPTICALLY INVESTIGATING A TISSUE OF A SUBJECT" Inventors: Jocelyn Faubert, Claudine Habak, Rafael Doti & Eduardo Lugo