The Educational Neuroscience program is designed to advance the science of brain, cognition and education on an international-scale, and to develop practical applications for the community’s cultural and economic needs. This pioneering program celebrates learning diversity; it is the first of its kind in the region and is at the forefront of educational transformation.
The Doctor of Philosophy in Education: Educational Neuroscience Program is offered in Abu Dhabi and Ajman as follows:
- Abu Dhabi – Emirates College for Advanced Education
- Ajman – Teachers Training Institute
All classes are offered during weekdays in the evening as ECAE Graduate degrees are offered as part-time programs. Allocated timetables with the location, time and duration of all lectures will be released towards the program start date on 13th January 2019.
|Year 1 Semester 1|
|DOCM720 - Qualitative Research Methods|
|PHDC730 - Neuroscience: Brain Anatomy and Circuits|
|Year 1 Semester 2|
|DOCM730 - Quantitative Research Methods|
|PHDC710 - Educational Neuroscience|
|Year 2 Semester 1|
|DOCM710 - Mixed methods Research|
|DOCC770 - Teaching and Learning in the 21st Century|
|PHDC740 - Neuroscience: Brain Systems, Behavior and Cognition 1|
|Year 2 Semester 2|
|PHDM720 - Advanced Quantitative Research Methods OR
PHDM710 - Advanced Qualitative Research Methods
|PHDC750 - Neuroscience: Brain Systems, Behavior and Cognition 2|
|Year 3 Semester 1|
|PHDC760 - Research Apprenticeship|
|DOCC750 - Seminar 1|
|Year 3 Semester 2|
|PHDD910 - Dissertation Research|
|DOCC760 - Seminar 2|
|PHDD910 - Dissertation Research (over two semesters)|
Admission to the PhD in Educational Neuroscience program is open to interested individuals provided they meet the following criteria:
- Hold a Master’s degree from an accredited University or have a foreign qualification, which has received equivalence from the Ministry of Education in the UAE.
- The Bachelor’s or Master’s degree should be in an appropriate field (see details below)
- A minimum cumulative grade point average of 3.0 on a 4.0 scale for the Master’s degree
- Research experience (i.e. methods course, project, research work experience, or other relevant).
- Hold a current International English Language Testing System (IELTS) score of 6.5 or equivalent (TOEFL IBT or Pearson PTE Academic or EmSAT) or higher.
In addition to the minimum qualifications stated above, candidates will be required to pass an admissions interview.
Candidates holding degrees in science-related areas: behavioral, physical, computational, statistical, and biomedical sciences, along with related engineering areas are encouraged to apply. Preference will be given to applicants with one of these backgrounds, with a strong interest in applying research methods to educationally- or clinically-relevant questions.
ECAE will give preferential consideration to national applicants.