The Master of Education in Special and Inclusive Education is a flexible two-year program that is aligned with Level 9 in the UAE Qualification Framework-QF Emirates. The program is designed to prepare teachers to improve the lives and academic outcomes for students with special needs who are typically served in the general education classroom. This is achieved through this program that is designed around incorporating applicable evidence-based strategies. The program also emphasizes incorporating research into practice and includes courses that teachers need, to improve their practice so that each child can succeed academically, socially and move through grade levels with the support they need.
The Master of Education in Special and Inclusive Education Program is offered in Abu Dhabi and Ajman as follows:
- Abu Dhabi – Emirates College for Advanced Education
- Ajman – Teachers Training Institute
All classes are offered during weekdays in the evening as ECAE Graduate degrees are offered as part-time programs. Allocated timetables with the location, time and duration of all lectures will be released towards the program
|Year 1 - Semester 1|
|EDUSIE1 - Current Research and Trends: High Incidence Disabilities|
|EDUSIE2 - Classroom Management for Inclusive Classrooms|
|EDUCLD2 - Introduction to Educational Research|
|Year 1 - Semester 2|
|EDUSIE3 - Content Specific Assessments and Methods in Inclusive Settings|
|EDUSIE4 - Planning Transitions for Students with Disabilities|
|EDUCLD5 - Emerging Technologies for Teaching and Learning|
|Year 2 - Semester 1|
|EDUSIE5 - Inclusive Pedagogy|
|EDUCLD8 - Brain, Mind and Learning|
|EDUCLD9 - Design-based Research Methods|
|Year 2 - Semester 2|
|EDUCR1 Research Project|
Admission to the M.Ed. in Special and Inclusive Education program is open to interested individuals provided they meet the following criteria:
Hold a Bachelor’s degree in Education from an accredited university or have a foreign qualification, which has received equivalence from the Ministry of Education in the UAE.
Hold a Bachelor’s degree in other fields from an accredited university or have a foreign qualification, which has received equivalence from the Ministry of Education in the UAE with:
- A Graduate Diploma in Education from an accredited university and one year of educational related working experience (Teachers, Assistant Teachers, Principals, Vice Principals, Heads of Faculty, Curriculum Developers, Trainers, Educational Policies reformers, etc. ) or
- A minimum of three years educational related working experience
- A minimum cumulative grade point average of 3.0 on a 4.0 scale for the Bachelor’s degree
- Hold a current International English Language Testing System (IELTS) score of 6.0 or equivalent (TOEFL IBT or Pearson PTE Academic or EmSAT) or higher.
In addition to the minimum qualifications stated above, candidates will be required to pass an admissions interview.
ECAE will give preferential consideration to national applicants.